Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Yucky Drinks & Expensive Naps


Because my dad had colon cancer in his 40's (which they caught and treated, thankfully), I am the lucky recipient of regular colonoscopies at a younger age than most.  My first colonoscopy was about 6 years ago.  I have been procrastinating scheduling another, but I finally had it yesterday.


The worst part?  Not the stuff they make you drink (although it does taste pretty awful).  Not all the time in the loo (although that gets a little old...you might want to take a book along - you'll be in there awhile).  And not the procedure itself (thanks to some fabulous drugs it's really just an expensive nap).

No, the worst part is the requirement to fast on a clear liquid diet the day before.  I like food.  A lot.  It took all my willpower not to just wander into the kitchen on Sunday and quench those hunger pains.  It sure makes you appreciate all our abundance.  We are very fortunate.

They did remove a couple polyps, which is not unusual.  Haven't heard if those polyps were precancerous, but if so, I'm grateful they're gone.  It's not fun, but I'm happy to comply if it means keeping myself healthy.  If you're over 50 and haven't had a colonoscopy or are due for another, or if you have a family history of colon cancer, do me a favor and talk to your doctor about it.  It's important.

I'm going to go eat something now.  I'm hungry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your little heart ♥ I have this two times and you are right it is Yucky drinks and expensive naps. You are so nice to remind everyone to have this done.
love your aunt wanda xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

This has been public service message ... #101
and a good one it is. Being my Brothers Sister ... I have 5 under my belt. So glad you are taking this seriously ... Now if we could just get Larry to do the same.

Anonymous said...

By the way ... such a delicate photo. Nice job!