Saturday, April 30, 2011

Homework makes me happy!

So, I'm not a big fan of school projects that require a lot of parental help.  I'm not.  Call me a party pooper or a poor sport, but I did my share of homework and I don't want more!  That being said, I was happy to help my middle daughter, Ellea, with this project for a Native American dwelling.  We (I) did some online research and she decided to go with building an igloo (after I convinced her that yes, Eskimos are Native Americans, too).  We had fun building it together; she was very flexible and cooperative as we were building it.  As a child with a mind of her own, and a touch of perfectionism (I don't know where she gets these traits!), it was delightful to have the project work out so nicely.


 It was only a few weeks later that she announced that she was going to have to build a "Fort" as the next history project.  Another project?  Really?  Was this entirely necessary?  Okay......  We (I) went back online to look at ideas for forts.  This time, she had already decided precisely what she was going to build and wanted little to do with my online discoveries.  Thankfully, her dad stepped in to help her this time with the actual construction, but procrastination had taken place and it was all very last minute.  This time there were tears and frustration involved.  It got finished in time, but it wasn't particularily fun.  The Fort Poxleitner turned out just great and we all got through it.
And then came Project #3.  Really?  She's 10.  She's in the 4th grade.  Three models of historical objects over a period of about 3 or 4 months.  Will it ever end?  This project did go smoother than the fort did, but wasn't quite as delightful as the igloo.  Probably because the novelty had worn off long ago.  The assignment was a covered wagon.  With or without an animal to pull it.  Again, she had definite ideas about how she wanted to do it.  She wanted to make it all out of wood.  We argued that cardboard would be easier and thankfully she conceeded.  She did not want to place an animal in front of it, but agreed it looked so much more realistic that way.  We love that the cow looks like he's really into it.  What a team player.  He must not mind a little extra homework.

No comments: