Friday, April 29, 2011

This little piggy went to market. . .

The girls picked out their 4-H pigs a couple weekends ago.  They are very cute and cuddly (can a pig be cuddly?) when they are just a couple of months old.  They quickly outgrow that stage.

It's a very long process, the picking out of the pig.  It amazes me how difficult it is for the girls to make the final decision.  It seems to me that it has little to do with the actual quality or build of the pig.  I'm not sure, but I think it's based on cuteness.  Or maybe the pig looks at them with a longing to leave with us.  I don't mind leaving the pig farm.  It's stinky.  You cannot imagine the level of stink at a pig farm until you've experienced it.  I'm sorry I cannot describe it for you, but it's probably for the best.

This little guy is the runt.  He was incredibly small compared to the others.  Of course, this is the one Nicole wanted most in all the world!  Sadly, it wasn't to be.  The pigs have to reach a certain weight by fairtime.  The pig she brought home was 52 pounds.  This one was probably 12 pounds.  She begged for us to consider bringing it home as a pet.  As I mentioned before, they get exponentially less cuddly as they grow.  I don't think she factored that into her reasoning.  She thought it'd be cute forever, I guess.

No comments: