Thursday, September 13, 2012

Brave Girl

Glenn and I took some friends out on our second white water rafting trip last weekend. Nicole came along and we were having a gay old time until we hit a rock in the middle of a rapid. Because of the way Nicole was perched on the front of the boat, she fell in the water. It's such a terrible feeling as a mother to see your child bobbing along in the water and know there's nothing you can do for them until you get into slower water.

I'm sure I sounded rather frantic when I yelled to her, "You're okay." I said it twice. I'm not sure if I was reassuring her or me! I think me, because she got out of the water all smiles. No big deal, mom, I'm fine. She even swam over to get the oar that had been pulled from the oarlock. (Thankfully, we have a third oar strapped to the boat in case we ever truly lose one. )

She was a little chilly when she climbed out, but otherwise just fine. Glenn has since talked to a few people who say the low water right now exposes a lot more rocks which can be problematic.

Otherwise, it was a fabulous day. Glenn's a great boatman. And Nicole's a brave girl!

1 comment:

Jen said...

We have a lot of those moments where I'm saying, "You're fine, you're fine!"...to reassure myself. :)