Thursday, March 12, 2015

Dear Dad

My dad died 20 years ago today.  He was 53 years old and I was 21.  

First family picture, 1974.  My parents were so cute!


My very first trout, 1978.  I don't look too excited about that fish! 


 In front of the log house my parents built in Sandpoint, 1988.


Family portrait, maybe 1990.  Dad's arm is around black lab, Duke.  


Dear Dad,
It's impossible to think that you have been gone from our lives for two decades.  As I'm sure you know, I was devastated by your passing.  I wasn't prepared.  I wanted you to be the one to walk me down the aisle.   I wanted to get to know you as an adult daughter.  I wanted to watch you get to know each of your grand babies.  My dear husband (who I know you adored - thank you for that), was so patient with me as I grieved.  It took me years to begin to stitch my heart back together and he was a saint as he patiently helped me along.

Oh, how I wish you could be grandpa to my children.  I know you are so proud of each of them.  You and I never were good at communicating feelings, but I will be forever grateful that you made it clear to me you were proud to call me daughter.  And I always knew you loved me.  

My main comfort in losing you is knowing you are in a beautiful place.  No more pain or struggle.  And we will see you again.  I can't wait.  To see that mischievous, love-filled, adoring grin.  Your eyes bright with love for me.  I look forward to.

Until that day, please watch over each and every one of us.  And know that you are greatly missed, always.

Your loving daughter,
Loretta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, my dear ... and from the heart. I know you made him proud. It would have been so much fun for you to get to know your Dad as an adult, as I knew him. I too miss my friend ... my brother ... still.