Thursday, July 9, 2015

Border Days 2015, Day Three



Because Nicole's horse wasn't enjoying the parades at Border Days (and by default, neither was Nicole), we decided to let my old horse give it a go.  Dakota's been in a couple parades, but it was years ago.


He did great wearing all the trappings of royalty, but he wasn't a big fan of the big white arrows painted on the road.  About halfway through the parade route he decided they weren't going to eat him afterall.  We were hoping for a little better, but we were grateful to get through the final parade.

The plan was to take Dakota home after the parade and bring Nicole's horse over for the rodeo.  But, unfortunately, Jasper didn't like being left behind and managed to injure himself.  He somehow stabbed a hole in his side in a place not conducive to wearing a saddle. :(  It was a major wrinkle to our day, but our queen hardly batted an eye.  Dakota was treated to a ride back to Grangeville and Nicole spent an hour in the arena preparing him for the fun of buzzing the arena.


And away he went.  He was fantastic all day.  I'm sure he was good and sore from working so hard, but he did great.


It was good for him to earn his keep for once.  I bet he enjoyed it.


He even had the honor of being involved in the crowning of next year's queen.


Which brought a lump to my throat only because it reminded me of twelve months ago when my girl experienced the same excitement.  What a year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if nobody else is going to say anything I will!!! Jasper isn't the only great horse you guys have. Three Cheers to the "Old Guy" ... long may he live!

lorettapox said...

Gotta love the Old Guy! He's my man. I'm gonna be sad when his health gets bad. Hopefully we still have a few great years.