Friday, September 27, 2013

Lightning

A few weeks ago we had a lightning show and I had a moment of inspiration and drug out  my dad's old tripod.  

Many, many moons ago (before children!), I managed to capture this amazing lightning shot with my old SLR film camera.  I've never really tried to capture lightning since then, but I decided to give it a shot.

I couldn't figure out why the first several pictures were so dark.  Turns out my lens cap was still on.  Ugh! And I missed a few good lightning shots in the meantime!


There were an awful lot of shots without lightning in them.





And it's hard to know exactly where to point your camera to capture the shot.



This is the only shot of lightning I succeeded in getting.  It's okay, but not terribly inspiring.  Now I know why I haven't taken any more lightning pictures over the past 15 years!


So I decided to take a shot of the moon.  I started out leaving the shutter open for quite a long time.  I was surprised that the shot came out looking more like daylight than dark.


This one's better, but I still have some work to do if I want to master moon pictures!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where was your first picture taken? from your home there? good for you for trying. I am sure it is a challenge. love and hugs, mom