Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Family Science, or My Family are Good Sports

Two of the teachers at the high school where I work agreed to help me put on a fun science night as one of my parent activities I'm required to host every year.  It is SO hard to get parents of high schoolers to come to one more school activity.  I get it.  I'd rather stay home too on the one night we don't have anything else going on.  So it's always a challenge to try to come up with a meaningful and something to get them out of the house for.

We didn't have the stellar turn out I always dream of, but we had a decent turn out and the people who came had a fun time.  That's all that really matters to me.


We had 9 different math and science stations that family teams rotated around to.  My family came, of course.  They don't usually have a choice.  Looked like they mostly had fun, though.

This station was the Melt-an-Ice-Cube Race.  Roll a die and follow the instructions.  Shake salt on the ice, hold it in your hands, put it under your armpit (Brr!), blow on it, etc.  You're racing with another person to see who can melt their ice cube first.


Another station was building a balloon car with life savers for wheels.  It was fun, but most cars seemed to go in circles (including mine from testing the instructions!).  Hard to test the distance a car travels when it drives in a circle!


Nicole decided to lay on her belly to both blow up and test her car!  You can see both hers and Morgan's are beginning to drift to the left of their lanes.  Circle, circle, circle.


This activity was stacking cups without touching them.  They had to use a rubber band with string tied to it to pick up the cups.  This is often used as a team building activity.  My family's team skills weren't great.  They were getting frustrated with each other and Glenn kept saying, "We sure don't communicate very well."  Might have to work on that one a little.

So grateful for all the help from staff and my family (especially Ellea!)  Also very grateful it's over!  Now I can start planning the next one.

No comments: