Monday, May 13, 2013

Fourteen

My teenager turned 14 on Mother's Day this year.  It was fun to celebrate the birth of my oldest on the same day we celebrate motherhood.

She decided we needed to pick up some sparkling apple juice and have a toast at 2 pm - her time of birth!  So we cracked out the wine glasses and toasted away!  Of course, Ellea pointed out that we will now be toasting at 6:30 am for her birthday!

Nicole also requested we go out to dinner at the Mexican restaurant in Grangeville.  Poor Morgan was hidden behind Nicole's big hat!

I figured she'd decline the sombrero picture, but she thought it was a great idea! 

Then it was off to Grandma's house for a fun game of Yahtzee on the back porch, then cake, and presents.  Fourteen candles creates quite a glow!
She managed to blow out all but one candle, and seemed pretty pleased with that arrangement....... Heaven help us!!!

Dear Nicole,
Wow - 14 years!  Everyone tells parents the time goes by quickly, but you don't understand just how quickly until you experience it!  I'm so sad that we only have four more years left before you go off into the big world and make a life of your own.  I'm sure that will be a fun stage, too, but I will miss you so much.  It makes my heart ache to think of you leaving, even if it is still 4 years away.  I know how quickly the next four years will disappear.

Thank you for your calming, level-headed ways.  You've always been so compassionate and understanding - mature beyond your years.  You've grown into quite a beautiful young lady with so much more confidence than I ever had at your age (thank goodness!).  I can't wait to watch you as you continue to find your way and be the amazing woman that God intended you to be.  Stay true to yourself always.

Thank you, sweet girl, for a fabulous, fun 14 years.  God bless you, now and always.
Love,
Mom

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH DARN ... That birthday ship has sailed again, without me. Don't worry, I'll catch up soon.
Love to the birthday girl.
Aunt B.

Anonymous said...

Well, I say amen to all your comments to Nicole. only one correction: not sure what you were thinking but when I counted the burnt candles, there were 15!! so whatever that means?? Nicole, Grandma is so PROUD of you!! love and hugs, and more hugs!!

DebbysBeads said...

She looks so grown up and pretty. Happy birthday!!!