Friday, May 30, 2014

Driving Lesson

I love this pick-up.  Not because I'm a lover of pick-ups, but because it was my dad's (and then my grandad's and then my uncle's) and now it's mine.  And she's beautiful.


But there was a time she wasn't so pretty.

Ellea and I enjoyed looking through some of my mom's old pictures recently and we stumbled onto this one...


Sadly, my poor mama was getting her first driving lesson from my dad and he had her turning down a hill and stopping at a stop sign at the bottom, or some such thing (it's a manual transmission, so that does sound tricky).  It was all too much for a new driver and she ran into a stationary object.  That's the shape of my dad's head in the windshield (ouch!).  According to  mom, he took it all pretty well.  It must have been hard.  His fancy step-side 1964 pick-up couldn't have been more than a year old according to the date on the picture.  That would hurt.  I bet he had a killer headache, too.

Oh, and he decided someone else could teach my mom to drive!  His sister had the honors and mom says she was a great teacher!


Thankfully, they got her back to her original glory.  As you can see, we still have the old California license plate.  She tried it on for size last summer, but Idaho prefers that we not use an expired out-of-state license.  Go figure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was only 17 or 18 years old and fearless ... What the heck to kids know or think about death!!! So Bob figured I was the perfect candidate for the job.
P.S. that stationary object was a big old pine tree.