Sunday, January 15, 2012

Chocolate Raspberry Bliss

Hal and Nancy had us over for a yummy steak dinner last night. That's two nights in a row that they've entertained us!


I provided dessert which is fine by me. I like eating dessert, so I'm happy to make it. I even made my own whipped cream (for the filling) rather than use cool whip. I rarely--no, never, make whipped cream. That stand mixer is so handy!This is a recipe that I don't make often, but should because it's very good. Sorry for the blurry picture. I meant to take a picture of the pie on my own plate, but I was so excited to eat it that I forgot all about taking a picture! I snapped this picture quickly and hurried back to eating!

Chocolate Raspberry Pie
1 graham cracker (or Oreo) pie crust
3 Tbs granulated sugar
1 Tbs cornstarch
2 cups unsweetened raspberries
Combine the sugar, cornstarch and berries in a saucepan; stir over med heat and boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 15 minutes. Spread in crust and refrigerate.

Filling
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c whipped cream

Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until fluffy (not sure about this instruction--I beat it quite a while and never saw much fluff. I decided to beat until creamy instead!!). Fold in whipped cream; carefully spread over raspberry layer; cover and refrigerate at least one hour. (Or, if you always are running short on time, like me, 20 minutes in the freezer!!)

Topping
1/3 c semisweet chocolate chips
3 Tbs butter or 1/4 c whipping cream

Melt ingredients in saucepan on med-low. Cool 4-5 minutes. Pour over filling; cover and chill 2 hours (Or, again, the freezer is your friend!!).

I added a few raspberries on top as garnish. And because I'm a big believer in chocolate (that is, I'm a chocoholic), I sprinkled some mini-chocolate chips on top. I would probably add even more mini-chips next time. Maybe even between the raspberry and creme layers.

But that's just me.

I have issues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you and I appearantly have the same "issues" ... Looks yummy!

Jen said...

Here's a tip from my Grandma: chill the bowl and beaters in the freezer.

DebbysBeads said...

That looks delicious. Since I'm not a chocoholic, I will probably add less chocolate. :)