Thursday, March 7, 2013

Easiest Bread Ever

Get ready for an amazing, yummy homemade bread that's also easy as pie.  Easier than pie, 'cause pie's not something I consider "easy."  First, a tempting photo, to get your taste buds all excited.


Aren't they all jumping for joy right now?  Mine are.  But maybe you have to be a bread lover to get excited about crusty, perfect bread that took very little effort.  Maybe it's just me.


Really.  You must be excited by this image.  (That is, if you can eat bread.  I know there are some who don't get to indulge in wheat products, and for that, I am sorry.  No bread tomorrow.  Come back then!)

So, the fabulous thing about this bread is that there is no kneading required.  Zero.  I know, weird. The only drawback with this recipe is that you have to plan ahead.  As in 12-24 hours ahead.  I'm not great at planning that far ahead what I'm going to make, but if it means yummy bread, maybe I will change my ways!

This is where I found the recipe (thank you, Pinterest!).  She's got great photos and a Q and A link for all kinds of questions people have asked.  I'll post the recipe here, but you should go to her site if you are dying to know more.

Crusty Bread
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast (I know it doesn't seem like much, but trust the process)
1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.  Add water and mix until a shaggy dough forms.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 12-18 hours.  (I've also done about 6 hours.  24 seems okay, too.)  Heat oven to 450 degrees.  When oven is preheated, place cast iron pot with a lid* in the oven and heat for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, place dough on floured surface and shape into a ball.  Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating.  Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough.**  Cover, and return to the oven for 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.  Remove bread from oven and cool on a cooling rack.

*I have used a lidded casserole dish and a big bowl covered with aluminum foil.  I am now lusting after a La Creuset Dutch Oven!

** I shape my dough into a big ball on a piece of parchment paper coated with flour.  When the pot is heated, I cut the parchment down and pick up the dough by the edges of the paper and drop it into the pot.  Works well.

The recipe link above has many suggested add ins.  I've tried this plain recipe a few times with fabulous success.  The picture above is my attempt at a cheese and herb bread and it was very yummy.

This is what I added to the recipe:
1/2 cup grated Mozzarella
1 Tbs grated Parmesan
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano

Happy Baking!

No comments: