Wednesday, August 3, 2011

20 Years

Twenty years. How can it be possible that I graduated from High School twenty years ago? As dear Christina puts it (nephew Steve's lovely wife), I'm just old!! Not really. She's just a baby. But still--twenty years?

It was a fun weekend. We hadn't been to Sandpoint for about 5 years and I hadn't seen most of my classmates in 10 years. We had three reunion events and squeezed in some time with a few other non-classmate friends. The kids began complaining early on about how boring the festivities sounded to them, so I gave them this big long speech about how rarely we do things for anyone other than them and their enjoyment. I spent the rest of the weekend saying, "This weekend is about me, so this is what we're doing." So there. It was quite nice. I think we'll have another weekend about me soon!

Glenn was his usual fabulous, outgoing self, encouraging me every step of the way. My self-confidence went down to high school levels the moment we arrived at the first reunion event. Why is that?Some classmates that we had dinner with Saturday night. Patty on bottom left was my cohort in crime (not really) all through Jr/Sr High. Dee and her hubby are at the back of the booth. She was a special cohort at U of I where we both met our hubbies. Interesting factoid: all of the women at this table met their husbands at U of I. Guy on right I totally wouldn't have recognized. He looks very different from high school. Not anyone I knew very well, but very nice. Next to him is another dear friend, Paige. We'd lost contact over past several years, but she lives and works nearby, so hopefully we can pick up where we left off.

Paige struggled with food leaping off her plate as she ate her salad. We talked about my blog and I told her I was going to have to blog about her pile o'food, so here you are. Enjoy.


We've all aged particularly well, don't you think?


My classmates all appreciate my constant need for blog material, so they grabbed my camera when they saw Glenn whispering words of encouragement into my ear and kissing on me a little!

Ultimately, a great experience. We didn't have a wild, hoot-hollerin' time, but as one classmate pointed out, our little group didn't have wild, hoot-hollerin' times in high school either. I used to think Sandpoint was a "small" school. Don't know where I got that idea. I've decided a graduating class of 200 is a little unwieldy. I didn't know and am not particularly interested in knowing the majority of my graduating class. I sure am glad I got to see my small group of friends who were at the reunion. I might just do it again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same feeling of being back in high school mode at my 10 year class reunion. Why IS that?? :) (Jen)

anatomy 1 said...

Hey, who you callin' old? I might have had my 20th LAST summer (and felt exactly as you expressed here), but I know I'M NOT OLD! I can be stubborn about it if I have too :)

Anonymous said...

How Beautiful you look in this pic ... Glad you had a good "for me" time.
Auntie B.