Sunday, December 18, 2011

Fencepost Fun

The girls and I helped Glenn split fenceposts last weekend.

Here's how it goes: Glenn drags and pushes a big 6 foot log up on to the splitter all by his lonesome. He's big and tough. He can do it. When they're too big for him to manhandle, he gets brother-in-law, Hal, to help him.

Then someone in the tractor runs the hydraulic lever which operates the splitting mechanism and splits that puppy in half. Repeat until posts are desired sizes. I had the honored job of piling the finished product. It wasn't so bad. I just had one complaint.





This used to be MY job. I would sit comfortably in the tractor. Heater on. Radio going. What's up with that? Now my girls are taking turns doing it? (And getting paid for their time, I might add.)


All the while, I'm bundled up against the cold stacking 6ft posts. They're not that heavy. I think the girls would have no problem doing this job.

I'm not certain, but I think I just got demoted.

1 comment:

anatomy 1 said...

Nice pile! I think you are right, you got demoted. I just have one question: PAID?? Did YOU get paid when you had this job? Farm labor is suppose to be cheap/free, right? What other reason to have those cute smiley faces in the tractor? JK! Coming for a "dink", you know. They ARE cute.