Sunday, December 11, 2011

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

The kids begged their dad to find time to find a tree together this week. I like it just fine when Glenn brings one home and voila, we're done, but family time is nice too. So, we bundled up after school one day and went tree hunting. It was hard to find a tree that pleased all 5 of us. We're not looking at groomed trees, after all. They all have flaws.

Ellea begged me to dig out Zip's sweater. I usally refuse because I doubt he likes wearing it. Maybe once a year at tree hunting time he can be a good sport. The last time he wore it, a few years ago, he got it caught on a barbed-wire fence and it came off. Dog clothes aren't designed for country livin'!

This time, he did just fine with it. It hardly bothered him at all, until he got it caught on a stick and it half fell off. Ellea took pity and removed it.
Glenn being the logger at heart, likes to find trees that are growing in groups and thin them. I get it--the trees left behind will grow better. But it's the trees growing out in the middle of nowhere all by their little selves that have the best chance to grow in a uniform Christmas tree way.

It was getting darkish by the time we found our tree. I had all but given up hope. And I was cold. I was so proud that I found one in a group that looked like a good candidate. It occurred to me that since it was mostly dark, it could be a terrible tree and we wouldn't know it until we got it in the house, but I was cold. I was willing to take my chances.


As you can see, it was a little on the tall side, but after chopping off the bottom 4 feet or so, it was a pretty decent specimen.

Now, hurry up and cut that puppy down so I can go back home to my warm house!

No comments: