Friday, December 9, 2011

New Job--Again!

Big news around here: I have (another) new job!

After working as a tutor at the high school for about a month, I was offered a position as the Site Coordinator of a federal grant called Gear Up.

This job--
1. Pays substantially more.

2. Is guaranteed for 6 years (the length of the grant). The tutor position funds look like they might dry up next year.

3. Is still at the Junior/Senior High School.

4. Allows me to work with Nicole's 7th grade class. Her class and the year below her will be the beneficiaries of this grant. It's designed to help them better prepare for college. This year, we'll take them on a field trip to a college, offer tutoring, teach them a little about saving for college and scholarships among other things.

5. Is still only 20 hours a week which makes me happy because-- a) I'm lazy and b) I don't think I could work full-time, keep my house any where close to clean (not my forte' anyway--see (a)) and keep my family well-fed. I have so much respect for those moms who do work full time.

5. Allows me to work with Glenn's sister, Nancy, for the remainder of this school year. She is the previous site coordinator of the same grant. She's had enough of the bureaucracy and frustration involved with this position. That fact gave me pause in accepting the position, but we decided I'd give it a go and walk away if it wasn't a good fit.

6. Will send me to New York City in February for a National Gear Up conference. We will be staying at the Hilton. Hmm. That will be tough. The furthest north I've ever been is Chicago, so it'll be fun. There's a chance Nancy may even join me which will increase the fun exponentially, I'm sure!

7. Makes use of my degree. This is the first job I've ever had that actually requires a degree. Luckily, they don't care what the degree is, so long as I have one. Feels good to finally have a use for that thing!

So, now the learning curve begins. Next week, I need to sketch out the plans for the year, draft a budget, book my flight, and register for the conference all while continuing to do a little tutoring. Should be fun! Guess I'll just buckle up and enjoy the ride!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sound great. i know you will do and great job and have fun in the big apple.
love
aunt wanda

Anonymous said...

Sounds terrific and very exciting. Hope you really enjoy the challenge.

anatomy 1 said...

Awesome, congrats girl!