Thursday, July 14, 2011

All Grown Up

Nicole is only 12. I know that means I have at least six more years of her under my roof, but it still feels like she's growing up too quickly.



I can't get over how mature she looks in this picture. I love the picture, but hate the sentiment that she's growing up. The trail judge at the 4-H horse show assumed she was in the "Senior" division. That would mean she'd be about 15 years old. C'mon, she didn't even have make-up on!




So, anyway. . . . despite my resistance to Nicole growing up, I was immensely proud of her successes at her third horse 4-H show. She received a blue in Fitting and Showing (halter class) and a blue in Western Equitation (riding). She gamely attempted the Trail Class and her horse displayed his keen knucklehead skills by not cooperating at all. She was planning to show in Bareback Equitation also, but her horse bucked for the first time when she was practicing bareback last week, so she scratched that class. She's done very well with this horse despite him being uncooperative about some things. We've actually decided that we're on the lookout for a replacement. I want her to have a horse that she can really trust and excel with.

So if you or anyone you know have a great trail/arena horse for a 12-going-on-16-year-old, let me know!!

3 comments:

WENDI DRAKE said...

Are you kicking her out at 16? I thought 18 was a guarantee :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, so my math skills shine through! There's spell check, wehere's math check?!! That does make me feel better--6 years. I'll take 6 years!
Loretta

anatomy 1 said...

She does look very mature (and a great horsewoman!) in these pictures. I honestly don't think I would want to compete against her at the shows, but she could definitely show my horses anytime. What a great girl!