Saturday, October 13, 2012

Near Tears

Glenn and I had a good laugh yesterday.  He might try to tell you I was laughing at him, but that's just not true.  Besides, it's my blog, so I can tell the story how I want.

I have this thing about making my children say "Yes, please" when I ask them if they want something.  If they only say "Yes," I tell them I can't hear them until they catch on and throw in the "please."

Yesterday, as Glenn and I were getting ready to leave for a funeral, I asked him if he wanted a piece of toast.  I was downstairs and he was finishing getting ready upstairs.

Me:  "Do you want a piece of toast?"

Glenn:  "Yes."

Me: (smiling deviously) "I can't hear you."

Glenn:  (much louder) "Yes"

Me:  (chuckling)  "I'm sorry, I can't hear you."

Glenn:  (MUCH louder) "YES!!"

Me:  (audibly laughing)  "I'm sorry, I can't hear you."

Glenn:  (Yelling and probably thinking I must have cotton in my ears) "YES!!!!!!!!!"

I finally took pity on him and said, "What do I make the kids say when they say yes?"  By this time I was laughing heartily and near tears.  He argued that I offered him a piece of toast, so why should he have to say please, but I make my kids, so why not him?

It continued to give me pleasure to think about him upstairs YELLING as loud as he could about his toast.  Every few minutes I'd start giggling again over the whole thing.  He must've thought I'd lost my mind. 

No comments: