Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Uncle Roger

Get ready to be impressed.

Are you ready?



Hold on to your socks.....





There was a man named Roger Sherman who happens to be my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great uncle (that’s 8 greats, in case you were wondering) and was a pretty important guy in the founding of this great country.


Can't you see the family resemblance?!  I think I have his earlobes.

 
Roger Sherman was the only man to sign all four great state papers of the U.S.: the Declaration of Independence, Article of Confederation, the Constitution, and Continental Association. I’m not quite sure what two of those documents represent, but I’m certain they’re important. I’ve heard of the other two. (Sorry, Uncle Roger, History isn’t my strongest subject.)

He was also on the Committee of Five that drafted the Declaration of Independence. You may have heard of a couple of the other members of that committee. Their names were Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson.

Impressive, no?

I was duly impressed.

And I am feeling pretty special right now.

 

(Thank you to Auntie B and my dear father for their hundreds of hours of genealogy research to acquire this information.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shucks, my Dear ... No thanks necessary. We had a great time together, doing that research.

anatomy 1 said...

That's cool. Makes history more fun that way :)

anatomy 1 said...

That's cool. Makes history more fun that way :)