Tuesday, October 9, 2012

October Lemonade Stand

My apologies for missing yesterday's post.  I came down with a stomach bug on Sunday and was still recovering.


The kids wanted to know if I would let them set up a lemonade stand on our road last Saturday. My first thought was, “What’s the point?” But I try not to be a KILLJOY about all things fun and good, so I said okay. I also warned them that (a) our road is fairly deserted, and (b) lemonade isn’t often in high demand on a 58 degree day. I was in the middle of trying to write a paper for my online graduate classes. Now that I think about it, I should’ve skipped all the warnings and negative energy and simply gushed, “YES! That’s a FABULOUS idea! Have fun!”

It’s true. I am a killjoy.


I am so grateful that my kids have learned to ignore my pessimism, and forge on with their own fun. They made their Country Time lemonade, took cups, ice and a container for all their hard-earned cash and headed to the end of the driveway. They even put up signs a little ways up and down the road from our house, to alert people of the lemonade opportunities up ahead.


I came out some time later. Not ‘cause I had a strong hankerin’ for lemonade, but because I sometimes get my act together and do supportive things like go buy a glass of lemonade because it's the right thing to do. I was the teensiest bit shocked that the price they set was $1.00 per glass. These weren’t huge cups, so I suggested maybe that they were a little overpriced. So they slashed their prices. And then they had a big crowd. Not really. I was their first customer and some time later they had one other. (God bless him.) By this time, I think they had drank most of their refreshment, so they called it a day.

I suggested that next time, they should set up in Keuterville where they’d be slightly more traffic, and perhaps offer homemade cookies. I was informed that there would likely not be a “next time” any time soon!

No comments: