Thursday, November 8, 2012

Seattle Music

As I wandered around Seattle for my conference a couple weeks ago, I was struck by how many people sit on the sidewalk and play music hoping people will appreciate their display and throw some money in their bucket.

I wish I had taken more pictures.  There was a bag pipe player.  I saw a violinist.  There was an older guy playing an unusual stringed-instrument that was very mournful sounding.  It was fascinating.


I was especially taken with this pair--although not enough to dig out my purse and pay them for their talents.  They had a whole drum set going with overturned buckets.  They even had cymbals and a cow bell.


Then there was the mini-piano.  I was dying to know how this guy got is piano here right at pike's market.  There is a very steep hill to go down unless someone dropped him off right on the corner.  Those look like pretty sturdy wheels.  Does he just push his little piano all over town??  Enquiring minds want to know!

And they will!

With the miracle that is known as the Internet, I googled it.  You can go watch you tube videos if you're dying to see this guy in action!  And, according to this article, he does push it a few blocks from some "secret" hiding place and has been doing so at least FIVE days a week for 26 years!!  This is his fifth piano since 1986! 

So there you have it.  Now you know "the rest of the story!"

No comments: