Tuesday, March 13, 2012

China Town

Our last couple hours of free time in New York were spent riding the subway one last time (we were pros at that finally!) and going back to China Town for a quick lunch before our flight back to reality.

China town is a busy, interesting neighborhood. Lots of open-air markets, and every street-corner had a vendor selling produce.

We found a non-descript (read: clean, no ducks hanging in the window and not too scary-looking) Chinese restaurant for lunch. I had Chow Mein and it was like any other Chow Mein I've had at any other Chinese restaurant. The coolest thing was the bill which was written in chinese. He could've writen These Ladies are Crazy, $8.50, for all I knew!

And then it was time to go home. We flew from Newark, NJ to Denver, Colorado to Spokane, Washington. The flight was made so much more delightful by the free drink tickets that the state coordinator of our grant gave me and my seat mate. I was looking forward to getting a cute little bottle of alcohol, but alas, the flight attendant just brought us these boring plastic cups! It tasted just as good, but wasn't as fun to look at

I landed in Spokane at 10:30 pm, which was 1:30 am Eastern time. Thankfully, I had made a reservation for a motel room at the airport. There was no way I was up to the 3 hour drive home at that point!

After a few hours' sleep, I had a leisurely drive home. I stopped in Lewiston for a break from driving and to make a Costco run. You gotta maximize Costco opportunities! I had a blissful 19 hours at home and then it was on to Boise, Idaho with the family for the Hallissey Baskeball Tournament!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you liked Chinatown N.Y. you must try the westcoast San Fransico version. It's the largest chinese community outside Asia (highly over-crowded) and It is the oldest ChiTn in NorthAmerica (read: The buildings are falling apart, don't come durning an earthquake) ... PLUS: A). It's closer & a good excuse to come see me. B). The Animal Rights Activists have made them clean up their shops & window dressings (no more hanging dead stuff or creepy stacks of half dead turtles). There must be a "C" ... I just can't come up with one rignt now!