Thursday, March 8, 2012

St. Pat's


On our last night in NY, we strolled down 5th Avenue.  We toured this amazing Catholic church, called St. Patrick's Cathedral.
Construction of St. Patrick’s began in 1858 and continued, on and off, for nearly a half century.  (I stole this photo from the internet.  Someday I'll have a big girl camera and take amazing pictures.  Or, I'll take better pictures.)
  

St. Patrick's Cathedral Main Altar
The Altar was amazing.  Again, this picture is stolen.  Forgive me.



 They had altars all along the sides of the church dedicated to different saints.  Now, this photo is mine.  See how the quality isn't as great?!! 

 The front doors are made of bronze and each weigh over 20,000 pounds!!


The outside of the doors are beautifully sculpted with images of saints and other important Catholics.

And, I leave you with another "stolen" image.  This church was amazing.  I could tell it was cross-shaped from inside, but it's cool to see it from above.


No comments: