Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Hunger Games

The girls and I went to the movie, The Hunger Games, last night. I was impressed that Grangeville was showing a movie on its opening day. That doesn't happen too often around here!

Nicole and I have both read the book. I really struggled with the disturbing premise (Two kids from each "district" in the country (24 kids total) are forced to participate in a survival game to the death with only one winner.) But, I admit that I was very drawn into the book. A real page-turner; just a difficult idea to accept. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about all the violence when it was translated to the big screen.

Turns out, it's still a difficult premise, but also a very exciting movie. If you're considering seeing the movie, and you haven't read the book, be aware what you're getting yourself into. It was almost too scary for Ellea, but I knew she'd be mad if I took Nicole and left her at home, so I let her make that choice. She covered her eyes a couple of times. Hopefully, we haven't scarred her for life!


As we waited in line, I asked the girls if I could get a picture of them with the movie poster. Nicole's always willing, but as you can see, Ellea's not too excited. Most moms don't take their cameras to the movie. But I'm not most moms!

Then, I had the brilliant idea of leaning in to take a self-portrait of ourselves as we were waiting for the movie to begin. Except, the people behind us were a little surprised by my flash! I'm only guessing about that. The gasp gave it away. It's not like it was dark, or the previews had started, but it was dim, and again, who takes pictures at the theater?! Only crazy bloggers.


Normally, I would've taken another shot (or two or three) and attempted to do better, but even I have my limits. I decided one blinding flash for the poor souls sitting behind us was plenty.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! i can't wait to see the movie. i read all 3 books on my kindle in the middle of the nights while nursing Will in just a couple short weeks, and i was sad when it was over! i'm so glad you guys liked it.

also, you sound just like my mother: "I'm not most moms!" haha, i love it!

Anonymous said...

Science-fiction is not my genre, but my eldest convinced me to read it. I loved the book and the movie was great too! Love the pics you posted :)
-Angie

anatomy 1 said...

I am SO jealous!! I haven't got to see it yet. Did you go to the midnight showing on Thursday/Friday?