Monday, March 5, 2012

Roots

On our wanderings around downtown NY City, we saw this interesting sculpture next to a church.  It's taken from the roots of a Sycamore tree that stood for nearly a century in the church yard.  Falling debris from the World Trade Center knocked the tree down.
What the sculptor had to say about it--
“Shortly after the events of 9/11, I saw the incredibly moving, inspiring story of how the sycamore tree fell upon impact from the fallen towers and protected the historic churchyard from damage,” said Tobin. “All that is now left of the tree is the stump and the roots, which fit into the language of my expression. The terrorists knocked down the buildings and uncovered the strength of our humanity in the roots of New York City, the United States and the world. We are all connected in the roots..”

When I first saw the roots, I thought they looks like some sort of creepy spider-thing.  Once I read the story of what they were, I was moved by the sentiment.  We live in such a great country 

1 comment:

anatomy 1 said...

Yes, indeed. This is awesome, what a touching story. I really like it.