Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

I miss this man. He was so smart. He had a mind like a steel trap--could remember minute details of events in his life and anything he read, and he read a lot. He had a killer sense of humor. My father was only 53 when he died. I was 21. He died unexpectedly in his sleep. He had had many health problems throughout his life, but nothing at the time indicated to me I might never see him again.

I was engaged before he died. He thought the world of Glenn. I remember the big grin that came across his face when we announced we were getting married. He could not have been happier, or expressed his joy any more thoroughly. It was a delight and a memory I will always cherish.

Another special memory is the day that he bought my wedding dress. I invited him to join my mom in meeting me in Spokane (I was going to school in Moscow) for some dress shopping. I didn't really think he'd join us, but I'm sure glad he did. That was the last time I ever saw him.

I'm told that my father didn't think he wanted to have children. He knew my mom wanted them, so he went along with it. He wasn't the most cuddly father when I was a small child, but I always knew he loved me fiercely. I wish I could've had an opportunity to know him better as an adult. I wish I could see how fiercely he must love his grandchildren. Someday.

I love you, dad. Happy Father's Day.

6 comments:

Team Eddy said...

What a loving tribute to your dad.

anatomy 1 said...

This is very endearing Loretta, I wish I could write like that. Brought tears to my eyes thinking about my own dad and the unexpected events that happen in life.

Rosie said...

My dear daughter, you are so precious!! love your wonderful tribute to your dad. he was such a wonderful man. As I recall your wedding anouncement, Glenn ASK for your hand from your dad! Your father was so impressed that he did that - and me too! Some day we will be reunited!! Love and BIG hugs (thru my tears), Mom

Anonymous said...

Thank you, dear niece ... I didn't really need a good cry this morning, but Oh well! He was the BEST big brother a kid sister ever had! I miss him too, more than you will ever know. This is truly a loving tribute and a real testiment to your wonderful sense of family. Love & Hugs, Aunt B

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for your kind words--they mean a lot to me. We all love our daddies, but they leave us eventually and some of them leave us a bit too soon. Thank goodness I know I'll see him again one day. That has always made the sadness so much easier to bear.
Loretta

wendi DRAKE said...

This was wonderful to read and brought tears to my eyes too. What a great photo - you can see his wonderful sense of humor and sparkle in his eyes!