Monday, June 27, 2011

Read at Your Own Risk

Just a fair warning, this post has a fair amount of ick-factor to it. If you don't care to be grossed out, or you are sitting at your computer eating your breakfast, you might want to skip today's yucky but informative information.
Okay, this isn't so bad. Nicole and I helped Glenn put the cows in the corral so that a couple of sick ones could be taken to the vet. She's on my horse. Her horse is sometimes scared of his own shadow, so I rode him. He did fine, but my horse did better.



Here it comes. Don't be scared.






This is what is called a prolapse, boys and girls. That lovely red object coming out of the back end of the calf is a small portion of his intestine. This happens more often in pregnant cows. He won himself a trip to the vet. She put in lots of dissolvable stitches and he's good as new. Hopefully.


Nicole was mortified that I was taking pictures of this for my blog. She was afraid he might be embarrassed. So if you know this calf or any of his friends, don't say anything. We wouldn't want him to feel bad about himself.

1 comment:

anatomy 1 said...

Not gross at all, I thought this girl wanted to be a veterinnarian, just like her "aunt" Candi's childhood dream! But, I never thought of it being embarrassing for the animal. Maybe so. One of these days I need to teach Glenn how to fix these. It's not that difficult and can save some vet calls. Unless, of course, he joins in the "ick factor" :)