Tuesday, June 14, 2011

There's a Fungus Among-us

Our dear friends, Marv and Candi came and visited us last weekend. They really enjoy wild mushrooms. I enjoy going on the hunt for them, but I refuse to eat them. It all harkens back to the day that my brother told me mushrooms were a fungus. I've never felt the same about them since.
I'm sure Polaris would love to use this photo in their marketing. This is what not to do. A driver and five passengers (Glenn got off to humor me and take a picture).

The kids weren't having as much fun 'shroom hunting as we were. Ellea would point out mushrooms, but refused to touch them. Needless to say, she didn't eat any the next morning either! In this photo she's working her I'm-not-enjoying-myself-look. She was grinning prior to the picture, so don't feel too bad for her.


We had a friendly little competition when we got home to see who picked the most mushrooms. Wouldn't you know, I'm the one who wanted to weigh everyone's bag o'shrooms, and I had the smallest bag! Marv was the big winner with over two pounds. Glenn came in close second with Candi right behind and I came in solid last place!

This is our haul. We mostly found Morels, but also a couple of Calf-Brains (sounds good, no?!). We also picked up garbage--a root beer can and a "barrel of monkeys" sans monkeys. Not bad for a half-hour stroll through the woods.

1 comment:

anatomy 1 said...

Not a bad haul at all! Nice picture, we are very photogenic and I really think Polaris should hire us. Where do you think the monkeys went? :)